The Joomla Project is pleased to announce the availability of the sixth Joomla 4.0 Alpha for testing with two main goals. This release includes most of the Joomla Core library changes that will be included with version 4.0.0.
What is this release for?
- Providing developers with the basis to test their extensions and reporting any issues well before the final release
- Allowing users to discover the new features introduced to Joomla 4.
Note: Remember this is an Alpha and is not ready for use on a production website. It is for testing only.
What’s new in Joomla 4?
Below are the short list of Joomla 4 key features and benefits we intend to implement:
- A cleaner and more powerful codebase. With the removal of deprecated functions from Joomla 3.x and the use of PHP namespaces that allows developers to deliver more robust and innovative applications than ever before
- Install Joomla in the blink of an eye. An easier, faster and more user friendly install process
- Brand new User Interfaces (backend and frontend) to provide a new and improved experience, using Bootstrap 4.
- The web is for all, we aim to ensure that the backend template is accessible (Level AA of WCAG 2.1)
- The power of the Joomla Framework merged into the CMS
- A fully rebuilt Media Manager with a cleaner User Interface and new image editing capabilities
- A new Publishing Workflow to manage your articles in an advanced and customisable way
- New security features such as support for prepared SQL statements
- An enhanced event dispatching system
- Reworked Application for Command Line Interface (CLI)
- And much more!
What’s the difference between Joomla Alpha 5 and Joomla Alpha 6?
Please visit GitHub to see all changes applied between Alpha 5 and Alpha 6.
Joomla 4 Alpha 6 contains various fixes from Alpha 5. Notably, we’ve improved the RTL display, fixed various issues in publishing workflow, custom elements and continued the improvements to the system information view. The bugs fixed in Joomla 3.8.8 has also been merged into this Alpha Release.